Author Topic: Ants  (Read 72 times)

Offline JodiS

• Active LCBA Member
Ants
« on: October 14, 2016, 06:48:14 PM »
I saw ants in the circle of the boardman feeder. Should I be concerned?

Offline LCBKAadmin

• Administrator
  • This space for rent!
Re: Ants
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 11:42:56 AM »
Hey Jodi,

I think ants under a hive is a good thing. Because they will eat different bugs larva when they hit the ground. 

They are no good in the hive though. You want to keep them out of the hive. They will eat your honey and larva and aggrevate the bees. I'm working on ant shields today myself. I took some coil and made pans out of them that fit over the concrete blocks my hives are on. I made them about 2 inches longer and wider than the block and turned a lip down about 1/2 an inch. I then coat them with olive oil. This works great until the olive oil evaporates or is eaten by the ants or for whatever reason..... the olive oil gets gone and you have to recoat. I'm cleaning the guards now and will paint the inside with some Rust-Oleum NeverWet. I think it will make them so slick, the ants can't climb on them and it should last a very long time. Will see soon.

Hopefully the pics help. Imagine your hive is the Rust-Oleum box in the third pic. That is how they are used.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.”
~Clarence Darrow

Offline JodiS

• Active LCBA Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 09:14:19 PM »
Thank you for the tips!

Offline LCBKAadmin

• Administrator
  • This space for rent!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 03:51:29 PM »
No problem Jodi,

So far the NeverWet seems to be working a treat. I placed the freshly painted shields on yesterday evening. I do not see any ants getting past the shields. I did some testing before I put them under the hives that looked promising too. I scooped up some ants into a shield and the ants could not crawl out. They would get about half way up the side and fall back in. But, to my surprise the finish the NeverWet leaves is pretty rough but it feels chalky. You would think if an ant can crawl on glass they could crawl on most any surface. The never wet seems to disprove this though. Only time will tell but so far it looks very promising.

I have heard you can use salt as a barrier too. Haven't tried it yet though. It's not the the ants can't crawl over the salt but they cannot smell the ant trail. Kind of like jumping in the creek when the dogs are after you.  ;D Throws the scent trail off.

I built a new hive stand in the early spring but have not moved my bees to it yet because I will need to leave them closed up for a few days when I do. With it, I will use a slightly different method to try to keep the ants out. I basically broke some J channel and gave it the NeverWet treatment. I will wrap it around the top of the 4X4 post and see how that works out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.”
~Clarence Darrow